Limited Residential Warranty
Wiston Building Materials Co. Ltd. manufactures all of its flooring under the strictest of quality controls. Our milling and flooring construction is manufactured using the latest technology. This ensures precision engineering and fitting during installation.
Who this warranty covers:
Our warranty covers the original purchaser / home owner when the flooring is installed in residential environments, meaning single family homes, duplexes, condominiums, townhouses etc. Commercial environments including but not limited to stores, offices, clubs and short term residences such as hotel rooms, rental cabins etc. are not covered under this warranty. Please see our separate commercial warranty for coverage in these situations. This warranty is non transferable to subsequent owners.
What we cover:
This warranty covers all Wiston Engineered Hardwood Flooring products purchased through an authorized Dealer in the USA or Canada.
Pre Installation Warranty:
It is the job of the installer, whether professional or DIY (do it yourself), to inspect all flooring pieces before installation. If during inspection the installer or buyer feels that the flooring is the wrong colour, defective, has finish problems, is not the right grade, or is the wrong gloss level, do NOT install the flooring. You must immediately contact the retailer from which the flooring was purchased. No claim will be accepted for flooring which is visibly wrong if it has been installed. By installing the flooring you are confirming acceptance of the product. Since wood is a natural product, standard industry practice allows for up to 5% of flooring shipped to have milling, handling, finish and /or grade defects. This warranty applies only to material that is in excess of this 5%. Wiston Building Materials Co. Ltd. will replace or refund the purchase price of material deemed to be defective in excess of this 5%.
The pre installation warranty above covers the replacement/ refund for any flooring returned in excess of 5% of the total flooring shipped with visible defects. This includes visible finish defects, prior to installation Wiston Building Materials Co. Ltd. Warrants to the original purchaser that the finish will not blister or peel off for 25 years under normal residential use. See exceptions under the ‘Exclusions’ heading In addition, Wiston Building Materials Co. Ltd. warrants to the original purchaser that our finish will not wear through for 25 years. If there is a problem with wear through, it must exceed 10% of the surface area for this warranty to cover. Changes in gloss level are not covered under this warranty, including shiny spots that might develop if you aggressively rub the flooring in one spot. Because of this any installation glue should be removed immediately and not be allowed to dry. Over time it is normal for overall gloss levels to change and as such this is not warranted against. If over coating / recoating Wiston Hardwood Flooring the installer or refinisher must test the finish they want to use to make sure bonding and adaesion have no problems first. Also, the installer or refinisher has the responsibility to get approval from the homeowner / site owner regarding appearance of the new finish or stain.
25 Year Structural Warranty:
Wiston Building Materials Co. Ltd. Offers a 25 year warranty to the original purchaser that our engineered flooring products will not delaminate (separation between plies). Delamination is when any of the multiple layers making up the piece of flooring separates. Our construction methods and adhesives used are strictly controlled allowing us to warranty the structure of the flooring with confidence when it is exposed to normal living conditions. Although we guarantee our floor will not delaminate, if our flooring is exposed to extreme humidity, whether from a wet subfloor or flooding of your residence or extreme dryness (less than 35% relative humidity) you will see slight shrinkage, swelling, cupping or even cracking of the solid wood wear layer. Wood is naturally hygroscopic (similar to a sponge) and such shrinkage, swelling, cupping or cracking due to extreme variations in humidity are to be expected and are not covered by warranty. Normal environmental conditions mean that heating and ventilation systems should be designed to maintain interior relative humidity levels at between 40 and 60% RH all year round to ensure the best performance of the Wiston Engineered Hardwood Floor.
Engineered floors are warranted against warping, cupping, and buckling when humidity and moisture levels are maintained at the correct levels AND WHEN THE SUBFLOOR IS TESTED AND THE FLOORING IS INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. IT IS CRITICAL THAT BEFORE INSTALLATION, ALL SUBFLOORS ARE INSPECTED, TESTED AND DOCUMENTED FOR DRYNESS OR MOISTURE PROBLEMS IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. WHEN GLUEING THE FLOOR DIRECTLY TO CONCRETE ON OR BELOW GRADE A MOISTURE BARRIER MUST BE INSTALLED. We strongly recommend you retain all documentation regarding your pre-installation tests. This may assist you if a claim has to be filed under this warranty.
Radiant heat Warranty
In-floor radiant heating systems can significantly alter product performance. Wiston Building Materials only warrants Oak, American Cherry and Walnut over radiant heated flooring. All warranties are voided if other species are installed over radiant heat. The Radiant heating system should remain on at between 18 – 24°C (65-75°F) to ensure the flooring is not damaged. Extreme sudden changes in temperature will shock the flooring and risk damage.
- Claims for flooring pieces installed even though there are visible defects. It is the installer’s responsibility not to install pieces with visible defects and not to use them. Flooring, once installed, is deemed to be visibly acceptable.
- Claims made on flooring pieces installed with excessive colour / grain variation. It is the installer’s responsibility to install the flooring in a random and acceptable mix. Off colour pieces should be installed in closets or not installed at all.
- Colour changes in the wood as it ages or is exposed to sunlight or differences in the colour and/ or the grain patterns of the installed flooring compared to showroom samples.
- Colour variations in wood flooring are natural and new or replacement flooring may not match sample flooring or existing flooring.
- Changes in gloss levels are not covered under this warranty, including shiny spots that might develop if you rub the floor in one spot too aggressively.
- Excessive swelling and /or shrinkage or other movement such as cupping or bowing in the flooring due to extreme changes in relative humidity outside of the recommended 35 -55c % range.
- Excessive swelling and /or shrinkage or other movement such as cupping caused by a wet subfloor or wet site conditions, wet mopping, pets or flooding.
- Damage caused by excessive ground moisture, natural weather conditions, hydro static pressure, leaking building envelopes, windows or roofs and poor drainage.
- Insect infestation after the product leaves the factory.
- Floor failure due to subfloor settlement.
- Damage due to abuse, abnormal wearing conditions, poor maintenance, high heel dents, pet wear and tear, scratches due to pushing or dragging furniture.
- Improperly maintaining the floor eg: Wet mopping too much, scrubbing, or vacuuming with a hard plastic vacuum attachment. Inadequate floor protection at outside doors.
- Recoating the floor with extra finish.
What will we do if any of the covered events occur?
Wiston Building Materials Companies obligation under this warranty shall be limited to, at its options, providing replacement of shortages, exchange of defective products, or refund of purchase price for flooring with visible defects that are returned to Wiston Building Materials Co. prior to installation. For flooring with delamination and finish problems which occur after installation and are not visible prior to installation, Wiston Building Materials Co., at its option, will either repair or replace the defective flooring and/or refinish the defective finish. In the unlikely event that we are unable to correct the problem after a reasonable number of attempts, we will refund the portion of the purchase price for the section of failed flooring. The sole purpose of the remedy provided herein is the replacement/repair of defective products or refund of purchase price. This remedy shall be the buyer’s exclusive remedy, and shall not be deemed to have failed of its essential purpose so long as Wiston Building Materials Co. is willing to replace/repair such defective goods or refund the purchase price for the failed area. We also reserve the right to verify any claims or effect by inspection and have samples removed for technical analysis.
Additional Terms of the Warranties
- The warranty applies only to prefinished hardwood flooring that has been installed and used strictly and exclusively for residential purpose, not for commercial or industrial use. In addition, the flooring must be installed in compliance with the installation and maintenance guide.
- Wiston Building Materials Co. neither assumes nor authorizes any other person or entity to assume for it any other obligation in connection with the sale of this product. This warranty is the complete and exclusive expression of our warranty and is in lieu of all other express and/or statutory warranties.
- Any implied warranties, including but not limited to the implied warranties, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are limited in duration to the duration of this express warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.
- Wiston Building Materials Co. assumes no liability for incidental or consequential damages occurring from, or as a consequence of, the defective flooring, or any cost or expense that the purchaser may incur to obtain warranty service, such as postage, telephone expense, accommodations, time lost from work or inconvenience.
- This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. The failure of either party to enforce any of the provisions of this agreement shall not be construed as a waiver of such provision or of the right of any party thereafter to enforce each and every provision. The terms of this agreement may not be extended, discharged, amended or modified, in any way, except by a writing signed by an authorized representative of each party. This agreement shall be construed in accordance with the law of the country of Canada.
- This warranty is subject to the limitations and exclusions set forth herein and is the exclusive warranty as to the Wiston Building Materials Co. Products purchased and contains the exclusive remedies that will be provided for breach of any warranties whether expressed or implied.
- This warranty specifically replaces and excludes any other warranty in relation to Wiston Building Materials Co. including the legal warranty in jurisdiction where exclusion of such warranties may be provided for by law. Under no circumstances may the product buyer exercise any type of recourse what so ever against Wiston except for conditions specifically for in this warranty.
- This warranty does not apply to any product or products designated as seconds, tavern grade, special or nonstandard items. Any product or products so designated are sold ‘as is’. In order to get performance under this warranty, the person seeking performance should first contact the dealer form whom they purchased the flooring. You may also contact Wiston Building Materials Co. directly by fax, email or telephone.
Warranty Claim Procedure
If you wish to claim under warranty, first contact the authorized dealer of Wiston Building Materials Co. where the flooring was purchased. Claim form must be filled in writing and submitted to Wiston Building Materials Co. within six (6) month of appearance of defect. Wiston Building Materials Co. reserves the right to inspect the product. The original, dated purchase invoice, completed with the distributor or retailer’s stamp, will need to be submitted. No alteration, replacement or repair may be carried out before the product is inspected by Wiston Building Materials Co. or any inspector authorized by Wiston Building Materials Co. Any replacement will be provided only after a Wiston Building Materials representative has inspected the product and has agreed to the defective condition. Failure to comply with this stipulation will make the warranty null and void.